Thursday, December 19, 2013

Teach them to take a stand!

So with the explosion from the media on Phil Robertson's comments to GQ Magazine, I thought I would weigh in with my two sense and try to see what it means to us who live as Bible believing Christians in small towns. You don't have to agree with me, but just like Phil, this is what I believe and I am sticking to it.



I searched around for the article that is causing all this hoopla, and I have come to find out that is an interview that will be released in January in an issue of GQ. All the commotion is over a few selected excerpts released by the magazine on Wednesday. Before I even talk about my thoughts on his comments and how they have been received I want to take a minute or two to reflect on the importance of context. These are just excerpts from the big picture. Anytime you take a paragraph out of the bigger picture you can make it say anything you want it to, and that is what has happened here in most of the media. I found this article on the E! website that tries to give the bigger picture (but since the entire interview hasn't been released it still falls short).

Okay, now to the meat of the controversy. In case you are still unfamiliar with what happened, after the excerpt from the interview was released by GQ the media exploded with criticism of Phil and A&E put him on a indefinite suspension from their show Duck Dynasty. As a teacher to the students, this troubles me the most. I am constantly telling the students to not be afraid to stand up for what they believe. I constantly encourage them to tell their atheist, non-christian, and un-churched friends what sin is, that sin leads to death, and Christ is the only way for life. They are seeing how people who are not ashamed of Christ are being treated. Another example of this is one of my heroes, Tim Tebow. Tebow is a football player who is very outspoken on his faith. He is so unashamed that he prays in public before games. The public made a mockery out of this by creating "Tebowing." Also, because he used to put Bible verses on his eye black there is now a rule that you cannot have any words on eye black.

I have had issues with TV shows and the media over the last few years. Me and my wife both agree that outside of a few select programs, TV has become junk. Duck Dynasty was a show that I encouraged people to watch because it was a family that was not ashamed of their Christian faith. They answered questions based on what the bible says. They repeated showed the importance of going to church and having a relationship with Christ. Duck Dynasty has changed the few that Christians must wear suits and be boring. They have truly embodied what living your life with Christ is all about. There is no better example out there to reach people, especially in our town, who hunt every chance they get. And now media has messed it all up again.

I think the biggest issue I have with this is the other stuff they allow on TV. The borderline pornography on what seems like every TV show. The emphasis on gay couples. The emphasis on people having sex outside of marriage. The emphasis that drinking and getting drunk is fine. And the one that troubles me the most is the emphasis that we must be tolerant with what everybody else believes. The idea that we can co-exist is to me one of the most dangerous ideas. I think that our country has been bullied by the "minority" groups. Media knows they will get slammed if they have anti-gay comments, so they promote homosexuality. People have got the thought that the Christian groups are not going to cause an uproar like the homosexual community will. We need to teach our students to not back down from what they believe. When asked their stance on an issue to give their honest opinion not just what they think the other person wants to hear. We have become people who are "people-pleasers" more than telling people what they do not want to hear. God did not call us to be "people-pleasers," He called us to share the Gospel and many times it is not the truth people want.

I think it is time that more people took a stand like Phil Robertson did. I do not think we should do it to try and change the world for ourselves, I think we should take a stand because the Bible tells us to. In 1 Cor 16:13-14 Paul tells the Corinthians to "stand firm in the faith." But he says to do it out of love. We cannot be ashamed of the Gospel or what we believe.

I just hope students who see how Phil has been slandered and treated by the general public do not get discouraged from taking a stand for Christ. My challenge is to all parents, leaders, and everyone is to make sure your students understand that taking a stand is a good thing. Never back down from the gospel no matter what, Christ is still on his throne. The day will come when you will be rewarded for your faith. Always remember Luke 12:8-12. Profess God before men, and He will profess you in heaven.

3 comments:

  1. First... you need to be careful how you word things... "Christian groups" and the "homosexual community." There are many, many Christians who firmly believe the Bible does not condemn homosexuality... and these Christians are not part of the homosexual community. They are simply people who have read and studied the Bible and understand it to mean something different than what you, or Phil Robertson believe.

    That said, I completely disagree with taking this man off a show for stating what he believes. Obviously, viewers don't care this man's views - or, those who do care, simply don't watch. But, chances are, these people weren't watching the show in the first place.

    We have gotten way too stupid in determining what should and should not go on the air. Showing religion is "offensive" to some people... but showing sex (homosexual or heterosexual) is not!?! There is a much bigger issue than whether or not homosexuality is wrong or whether stating these views is wrong. We live in a very messed up society where any sin is considered normal and non-offensive, and religion of any type is considered offensive.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Christ is still on His throne!!! Amen!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Brandi, first, thank you for your thoughts! I do agree that there are Christians that have their own beliefs on homosexuality, but to me you either support it or do not support it (always support the person no matter what). I don't see a lot of grey space (again that is just me). However I totally agree that that the issue of homosexuality is not the problem, it is how the world deals with these types of things, which is the point I was trying to make.

    ReplyDelete