Tuesday, November 12, 2013

In Memory of...

This week, as I write this I am heavy hearted. Last Monday evening (11/4/13) we lost 3 students from our youth group to a car accident. Today I am using this blog post for an outpouring of emotions, feelings, and thoughts.




When a young student passes away there are so many complicated and confusing feelings. Here I sit a week after finding out the news and my response is still the same. The only thing I know how to say is "wow." There is a ton of scripture that can give hope and assurance that God is in control, but today I still look at that accident and think, "wow." The three students were 12, 12, and 14, and driven by a girl that was 21. No matter how you spin it, that is way to young and really makes me take a step back and appreciate the 24 years I have been given.

As I sit here right now I know that God has a bigger plan. He could be saving them from a lifetime of heartache and pain. God is still God, and He is still on His throne. But I cannot help but wonder why this and why now. Not even 2 months ago we lost a former member of our youth group to a car accident. He was 19 years old. Why is God bringing so much heartache to our little town?

This week I officiated my first funeral/memorial service. While I was standing there talking all I could see was the faces of the family and friends who have lost dearly loved ones. I knew that there were no words I could say or thoughts I could portray that would change the way they felt. But as I set there and read scripture from Ecclesiastes 3 I knew that God was in control.

I look back this week and try to find the "silver lining" to this dark cloud that is still hanging over our small community. I can't help but wonder if it is a wake up call that our church and our youth group needs? For months now we have been praying for revival to break out in our church, community, and school. I know one thing for sure, this tragedy has drawn our school closer to each other. New friendships are already forming. In this tough time people are looking for something to cling to. I just hope that we give them Jesus.

Nick, Nolan, and Tel will be missed by all that knew them. My prayer is that because of their life and their relationship with Christ, that others will realize how fleeting our time on earth really is. We never know when Christ is going to come to take us home, but I know one thing for certain when my time is done here on earth, I will open my eyes in heaven, and I will see Nick, Nolan, and Tel again!

5 comments:

  1. First let me tell you how deeply sorry I am for your loss (and that of their families/community/friends). Loss is never easy to endure, especially when it's a child. This story brought tears to my eyes and an ache in my heart.

    It seems when tragedy strikes, it is often our first reaction to ask God why He did this. Why did He take these young children. But, I don't believe God did. Maybe I am wrong. But I don't think it's right to blame God. Doing so is saying our God is cruel, and eventually hardens hearts towards God. However, I do believe wholeheartedly that God is there with you, and with these families, and is holding everyone in His embrace.

    I pray He helps you all find comfort and peace. God bless,
    Brandi

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so sorry Tyler. As a youth leader myself I will have our youth group pray.
    What do you say to anyone who experiences tragedy on any level. We can say all we want that we are okay with them being in Heaven but inwardly we are angry and hurt at God for allowing them to be taken so soon. You have to allow people that anger and grief so they can process the guilt of not being the one who died. People will tell you they are in a better place and that's true, but we have to live with the aching hole they left behind. People say pray, and that's a awesome thing, but I feel like we should live. Use the testimony to encourage others to trust in Christ! As for the families, walk through the memories with them. Listen to their stories even if you've heard them a thousand times before. Keep their loved ones alive by allowing them to keep them alive in their stories and their memories. We try and move people onward toward healing and that's not necessarily bad, but if we push them to put it behind them in essence we are trying to get them to believe they are permanently gone for good in their heart. It's in the stirrings of our heart that we hold to the fact that they are alive somewhere and one day we are going to go through the same door and they will be waiting for us on the other side. They aren't really gone they are just in another room in a different dimension. :) I will continue to pray!

    I'm hid with Christ!
    Shawn

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Tyler. This is heartbreak for sure. I pray the peace that passes all understanding be with you and the families of the these children.

    E.D. Jackson Jr.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Tyler, When we heard about this tragedy, our hearts ached for the families and community involved. When we found out that they were part of YOUR youth group, Mike & I prayed for you. There are no words to describe what all of you are going through. I know that God has a plan to use even something this tragic for good. I know that you'll never be the same after this. We're proud of you & your ministry! We will continue to pray for comfort and wisdom. Love!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is so heart-breaking. I know nothing about what it will feel if myself who experience that. But, I know it leave a pain because of the lost. I'm praying for you and them. Keep thankful, God is still sooo~ good :)

    ReplyDelete